About Us >

Our History

Originally known as Sulphur Springs Baptist Church, this congregation was organized in 1856, the same year the town and county of Lampasas were created. Moses Hughes, one of the earliest settlers in the area, was instrumental in the church's formation. The first pastor was the Rev. Richard Howard (1817-82), a native of South Carolina.

A sanctuary built along Sulphur Creek served the congregation until 1872 when a new building was constructed. By the late 1880s a larger facility was needed and a new building was begun at Third and Key streets under the direction of the Rev J.M. Carroll. A fire destroyed the structure in 1937 and new facilities were built on the same site.

Since the earliest days of the city, the First Baptist Church of Lampasas has been an active leader in civic development, missions, and Baptist associational work.