FBC Lampasas 009

Physical Address 402 South Key Ave Lampasas, Texas
512/556-3673 Fax 512/556-4042 Read More

fbc old building 003

FBC, Lampasas, 1915, at the corner of Key and 3rd


Richard Howard, a South Carolinian, moved his family to Texas in 1855.  He was employed by the Mission Board of the Southern Baptist Convention and organized many Baptist churches in Central Texas.  July 15, 1856, he organized a church at White Sulphur Springs in the town of Lampasas. This church became Lampasas' First Baptist Church.

Many preachers and missionaries served Lampasas Baptist Church during the unsettled years prior and during the Civil War of 1861-1865.

In 1872 a new wooden church house seating 300 was constructed on the north east corner of Fourth and Main Streets.

Meeting at the church in 1885, the Texas Baptist State Convention formerly voted to allow Baylor University and Baylor Female College (University of Mary Hardin- Baylor) to relocate from Independence, Texas and organized a Board of Relief of Disabled Ministers. A home for older ministers was operated in Lampasas from 1892-1893 on behalf of the Baptist General Convention of Texas.

In the late 1800's as the new railroad came to town, newcomers were pouring in by the hundreds. During a five year period over four hundred were received for baptism and several hundred by letter. A new church building was begun at Third and Key Avenues, but when half was completed, the financial bottom dropped out of all businesses and construction of the new church house was temporarily suspended.  It was finally completed in 1890. This church house was destroyed by fire on February 20, 1937.

One year later on the third Sunday in February 1938, opening services were held in a new church house built on the same site. Cut stone from the former structure was used at the bottom of this new building.

Opening services were held in the present sanctuary, which joins the site of the past two churches, on January 17, 1960.

Since the earliest days of the city, First Baptist has been an active leader in civic development, missions, and Baptist Associational work. The church helped in the organization of the Lampasas Baptist Association in 1896 and assisted in the establishment of the Lampasas Baptist Encampment which met annually on the present site of Hancock Park through 1928.  In 1946 the church organized a Spanish mission church which is now Primera Mission Bautista and the Baptist Chapel which today is Northside Baptist Church. In 1968 our kindergarten was organized and classes started that fall.

Over the past 155 years, the Lord has honored the commitment and dedication of His people. Today, FBC, Lampasas still stands at the crossroads of Central Texas proclaiming the good news of Jesus Christ.

The past has been incredible, the present is wonderful and the future is exciting.

 

 

 

 

Empowered by Extend, a church software solution from